Don’t Let Your Voice Go Unheard!
Vote on or by November 6
Deadline to Request a Vote by Mail Ballot is October 30
In-Person Early voting available at City Hall October 9 – November 6
Vote at your Polling Location on November 6
Not Registered? You can still vote by conditionally registering and casting a provisional ballot at the City Hall Voting Center anytime between October 23 – November 6.
Make a Plan Before Election Day
Voting By Mail?
Filling out your ballot and envelope
- Make sure that you personally sign the outside of your ballot envelope with the same signature style that’s on your California Driver’s License! Not having a signature on the envelope is the most common reason why mail-in ballots get thrown out.
- If you think your signature has changed from the signature that’s on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you can update your signature on file with the Department of Elections by re-registering with a paper Voter Registration Application up to 15 days prior to November 6.
Turning in your ballot
- To return your ballot by mail, fold your ballot cards one-by-one and seal all cards inside the completed and signed return envelope.
- Put it in the mail prior to November 6
- To be counted, mailed ballots must be postmarked before or on Election Day and received by the Department of Elections no later than Friday, three days after Election Day.
- If you return your ballot on Election Day by using a blue USPS mailbox, check the collection time to make sure that the ballot return envelope will be postmarked on the same day.
- Personally drop it off on Election Day (Nov. 6) at your polling location or at City Hall
- Ballots returned in person must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day.
- Contact Team Shamann for assistance at 415-287-0108
- You may authorize anyone to return your ballot by providing the required information on the back of your vote-by-mail return envelope, and we would be happy to assist in making sure your vote is counted.
Checking if your ballot has been received and counted
- You can use the San Francisco Department of Elections’ Ballot Status Lookup Tool to track your ballot as it moves through the nine steps of the election process, from the date your request for a ballot is processed to when your ballot is counted.
- The Department’s Ballot Status Lookup Tool will also inform you if there are any issues that prevent the Department of Elections from counting your ballot.
If an issue arises with your Mail-In Ballot prior to November 6, you can request a replacement ballot by using the “Replacement Ballot Request” feature in Department’s Ballot Status Lookup tool.
Voting in Person?
- Early Voting is available on weekdays from 8:00am to 5:00pm beginning on October 9, but ONLY at the Department of Elections office (on the ground floor of City Hall)
- Early Voting will also available at the Department of Elections office on the weekends of October 27–28 and November 3–4.
Find Your Polling Location For Election Day
Every voter is assigned a specific location where they need to vote on election day, and, unfortunately, it is not uncommon for these locations to change from year-to-year.
But don’t worry! You can easily check or find your polling location for Election day using this Polling Place Lookup Tool on Department of Elections website.
Voting In Person on Election Day
- Polling locations throughout the City will be open from 7:00am to 8:00pm on November 6.
- If you don’t have enough time outside of work hours to vote that day, CA Elections Code § 14000 requires your employer to give you two hours off, without loss of pay, so you can cast your ballot and be heard. If you think you will need this paid time off to be able to vote, you must notify your employer at least two working days prior to the election.
Need to Vote by Mail this election?
You can request a ballot by mail by completing this form on the Department of Elections website no later than 11:59pm on Tuesday, October 30, 2018.
Additional Questions or Concerns?
Call 415-287-0108 and our team would be happy to provide more assistance!